PHOENIX – The Society of American Business Editors and Writers will conduct its 50th anniversary conference and celebration April 4-6, 2013, in Washington, D.C.
The world’s oldest and largest association of business and economic journalists will gather at George Washington University.
It will be a highlight event as SABEW begins a celebration of 50 years of service to business journalists. Teaching events will be held at GWU’s Marvin Center. Site coordinators for Washington include Kevin Hall of McClatchy Newspapers and Diana Henriques of The New York Times. The first speakers will be announced soon.
The yearlong 50th celebration will include a variety of events and activities. Current President Jill Jorden Spitz is coordinating the effort, working with Warren Watson, executive director; and Randy Smith and Phil Moeller, past presidents.
· The 2013 Best in Business competition will be open for entries Dec. 1, 2012. Rules will be announced soon. Winners will be honored at a special gala celebration at the D.C. conference.
· In January, SABEW is planning a special symposium on the business of health care. It will be held at Reuters on New York’s Times Square. The program will be sponsored by The Commonwealth Fund.
· A special past presidents committee led by Smith plans to conduct two special events during the year, one featuring a headline speaker in New York City, the other a special program on ethics, to be sponsored by SABEW’s Klott Fund. The latter will most likely be held in the West, said Spitz.
· Led by another past president, Phil Moeller, plans are underway to create a special website featuring the history of SABEW and that of business journalism.
Please go here to register for the 50th anniversary conference.
“We’re excited about Washington as a venue in a year that will see us start celebrating 50 year as an organization, and that will see either a new term for President Obama or a new president take office. How reporters cover economic and business issues will be of great importance no matter which scenario we find,” said Kevin Noblet, immediate past president.
Regarding hotel accommodations: SABEW has made arrangements with the following hotels at special rates for those planning to attend the conference:
• The One Washington Circle Hotel, 1 Washington Circle, N.W., Washington, D.C. 20037, 800-424-9671, Group Name: SABEW or Booking ID: 823460. SABEW rate is $199 per night, good until March 4, 2013.
• The George Washington University Inn, 824 New Hampshire Ave., Washington, D.C., 20037, 800-426-4455, Group Name: SABEW or Booking ID: 353451. SABEW rate is $199 per night; $239 per night for April 3. Rate good until March 4, 2013.
• The Quincy, 1823 L St., N.W., Washington, D.C., 20036, 202-223-4320, Group Name: Society of American Business Editors and Writers or Booking ID 2129. SABEW rate is $199 per night, good until March 4, 2013.
SABEW conducted its last spring conference in March in Indianapolis.
Society of American Business Editors and Writers
Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication,
Arizona State University
Suite 416, 555 North Central Ave, Phoenix, AZ 85004-1248
Phone: (602)-496-7862 Fax: (602) 496-7041
©2001 - 2013 Society of American Business Editors and Writers, Inc.