Welcome to the 19th annual Best in Business awards competition, sponsored by the Society of American Business Editors and Writers.
This contest covers work published, broadcast and posted in the calendar year 2013.
Eligibility, category, entry and deadline information is below. Winners will be notified in February, and a complete list will be posted at sabew.org. Award certificates will be presented March 29, 2014, at ceremonies at the 51st annual SABEW spring conference at The Walter Cronkite School of Journalism in Phoenix, AZ.
The 2013 Best in Business contest opens Dec. 2, 2013.
DEADLINES: Entries must be submitted by 2p.m. Eastern time Feb. 4, 2014. This is a firm deadline with no extensions. Online entries only.
HOW MUCH: Early-bird entry fees: $60 individual/$125 General Excellence available until 10:59 p.m. Central time Jan. 3, 2014 (11:59 EST, 9:59 MT, 8:59 PT). Regular entry fees: $65 individual /$125 General Excellence until 2 p.m. Eastern time Feb. 4, 2014 (11:59 EST, 9:59 MT, 8:59 PT).
NEED HELP? Send us your questions at email@example.com.
•New divisions for coverage of Small Business, Technology – and a new division called Innovation. Innovation entries could be packages that combine multimedia elements in unique, interesting ways. It could be mobile app or a data visualization project. It could be a story that uses nontraditional narrative techniques.
• A new division called Social Media that allows for 10-15 social-media entries that demonstrate a creative timely skillful use of the medium.
• A new division called Individual/Small Group Blog for those bloggers (no more than three) independent of a news outlet that are covering business and financial topics.
• One story or project may be entered into a maximum of two categories. (The contest previously allowed unlimited categories for one piece of journalism.)
• Blog categories have been merged with Opinion/Column to form Commentary.
• For the most part, we’ve eliminated mandatory dates allowing you to enter your finest work from the contest year. Exceptions: With some General Excellence categories, we’re asking for “weekday” and “weekend” choices.
• Entries in Personal Finance, Real Estate, Small Business, Technology divisions no longer need to share common bylines. The individual pieces (up to five) can come from any staffer.
• Our early-bird entry period is in its third year. Get a jump start on the contest and save a little money ($5 on single entries) by entering between 12:01 a.m. Dec. 2, 2013 and 10:59 p.m. Central Jan. 3, 2014.
Please use the links below for more detailed information and instructions.
Rules for each division are listed below
Questions? Send an e-mail message to firstname.lastname@example.org. For general contest information, contact SABEW executive director Warren Watson, email@example.com. If you would like more information about SABEW membership, contact membership coordinators Spring Eselgroth at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Society of American Business Editors and Writers
Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication,
Arizona State University
Suite 416, 555 North Central Ave, Phoenix, AZ 85004-1248
Phone: (602)-496-7862 Fax: (602) 496-7041
©2001 - 2014 Society of American Business Editors and Writers, Inc.