SABEW’s BEST IN BUSINESS AWARDS COMPETITION
Contest Year 2014
Welcome to the 20th annual Best in Business awards competition, sponsored by the Society of American Business Editors and Writers.
This contest covers work published, broadcast and posted in the calendar year 2014.
Eligibility, category, entry and deadline information is below. Winners will be notified in February, and a complete list will be posted at sabew.org. Award certificates will be presented at ceremonies at the 52st annual SABEW spring conference in Chicago, April 25, 2015.
The 2014 Best in Business contest closes Feb. 4, 2015.
Click here to START the entry process
FAQs about the Best in Business contest
PDF version: BiB Rules 2014
STAFF HOURS: SABEW Staff will be available to help with BIB questions and entries Jan. 27 -Feb. 4, Monday- Friday from 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m MT. On Saturday, Jan. 30, please call 602-496-7862 or email email@example.com for assistance between the hours of 9:30 a.m and 5:30 p.m MT. Staff will not be available Sunday, Feb. 1.
DEADLINES: Entries must be submitted by 6 p.m. (CST) Feb 4, 2015 (7 p.m. EST, 5 p.m. MT, 4 p.m. PT).
HOW MUCH: Early-bird entry fees: $60 individual/$125 General Excellence available until 10:59 p.m. (CST) Dec. 31, 2014 (11:59 EST, 9:59 MT, 8:59 PT). Regular entry fees: $65 individual /$125 General Excellence will begin Jan. 1, 2015.
NEED HELP? Send us your questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- New divisions for coverage of Health Care, Energy and Government. For these new contests, judges will be looking for stories that shine a light on where Health Care, Energy or Government and business intersect.
- In its third year: Innovation. Innovation entries can be packages that combine multimedia elements in unique, interesting ways. Data visualization projects are encouraged for entry in this category.
- In its second year: A new division called Social Media that allows for 10-15 social-media entries that demonstrate a creative timely skillful use of the medium.
- One story or project may be entered into a maximum of two categories. That total excludes General Excellence, where submissions in other categories might be part of the broader entry.
- Blog categories have been merged with Opinion/Column to form Commentary.
- For the most part, we’ve eliminated mandatory dates. Enter the work you think is best, as long as it was published in 2014. Exceptions: With some General Excellence categories, we’re asking for “weekday” and “weekend” choices.
- Entries in Personal Finance, Real Estate, Small Business, Technology, Health Care, Energy and Government divisions no longer need to share common bylines. An entry may include five pieces from one reporter or a selection of pieces from various reporters as long as they fall within the category subject.
- Early-bird entry period is in its third year. Get a head start on the contest and save a little money ($5 on single entries) by entering between 12:01 a.m. Dec. 1, 2014 and 10:59 p.m. (CST) Dec. 31, 2014.
Please use the links below for more detailed information and instructions.
Brief outline of the divisions
Brief outline of the categories
Rules for each division are listed below
Division I: Digital
Division II: Energy
Division III: Government
Division IV: Health Care
Division V: Innovation
Division VI: International
Division VII: News Agencies
Division VIII.(a) Print — Daily newspapers
Division VIII.(b) Print — Magazines
Division VIII.(c) Print- Weeklies/biweeklies
Division IX: Radio/TV
Division X: Personal Finance
Division XI: Real Estate
Division XII: Social Media
Divisioin XIII: Small Business
Division XIV: Student
Division XV: Technology
Questions? Send an e-mail message to email@example.com. For general contest information, contact SABEW executive director Kathleen Graham, firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would like more information about SABEW membership, contact membership coordinators Spring Eselgroth at email@example.com.
List of 2014 contest finalists
List of 2013 contest winners
List of 2012 contest winners
List of 2011 contest winners
List of 2010 contest winners
List of 2009 contest winners