Lookout Local, Inc.
Santa Cruz, CA
Lookout Santa Cruz seeks a curious, versatile reporter to cover business and technology in the story-rich Santa Cruz area, home of a disproportionately large and active small business community, fast-emerging biotech, and beachheads of Google and Amazon. Economic recovery is the story of 2021, and we’re looking for a reporter able to both dig deeply into the questions of economic re-development and of small business owner struggles to transition. Data + lots of human storytelling.
• Rock-solid journalism judgment, intuition and taste.
• Experience and comfort with the pace of digital-first journalism, and the digital technologies that power it.
• Ability to engage diverse local communities in Lookout’s work.
• Ability to think through visuals that will aid storytelling and work with colleagues to activate them.
• Demonstrated adaptability, especially with new topical coverage areas and communities.
• Comfort learning new technology and experience working in content management systems, producing, editing and dressing stories with related media (photos, videos, etc).
• Comfort with the format of Lookout’s correspondent-focused model, and the personality it brings to the work.
• Desire to work in an entrepreneurial, fast-growth startup environment, embracing the agility and flexibility required to thrive within a new business.
• A commitment to making Lookout Local’s first market launch and a successful one and potential interest in advancing with Lookout as its network expands.
• Bilingual abilities are a plus.
• Solutions journalism familiarity and experience are plusses.
• Data reporting skills are a plus.
• Audio/video experience is a plus.