Editorial Projects in Education
The individual hired for this position will serve as a staff writer and industry analyst who will report and write about critical trends and developments in the K-12 marketplace for a business audience. The position requires solid reporting skills and abundant curiosity. It is strongly preferred that the individual have expertise in education reporting or business reporting. We need someone who is digitally savvy, conscientious, and solution-focused, who thrives in the fast-paced and ever-changing environment that is digital news, and who is willing to take on multiple tasks as assigned.
Working in tandem with other EdWeek Market Brief reporters and editors, the staff writer will carry out a number of essential duties, including:
• Producing engaging and insightful stories about the interplay between education companies and school districts that are seeking to buy product and services from them.
• Playing a prominent role in organizing and participating in EdWeek Market Brief live events, such as webinars and virtual conferences, including presenting and/or moderating content.
• Analyzing and interpreting industry data, company financial reports, and original survey data collected by EdWeek Market Brief.
• Promoting our content to outside audiences, through the production of newsletters and active participation in social media.
• Contributing to special reports offering in-depth looks at shifts in the market and their impact on industry.
• Developing expertise in understanding how the work of education companies can contribute to or impede school districts’ efforts to promote racial equity and serve diverse populations.
• Bachelor’s degree, 4-6 years’ related experience in a news/media/information/research organization.
• A strong grasp of business issues, including the flow of venture capital, the work of publicly traded and privately operated companies, and business strategy.
• Knowledge of the field of K-12 education or a hunger to learn more about it.
• Strong news judgment; ability to recognize news and trends in education and conceptualize appropriate stories and other content with an eye to audiences of business leaders.
• Skilled research, reporting, and writing abilities.
• Curiosity about reader analytics and the ability to use data about audience trends to steer content.
• Strong desire and ability to embrace and learn new technologies.