American Chemical Society
Application Deadline: July 24
1. Provide breaking news and analysis about the business of chemistry that is of interest to readers of C&EN.
2. Identify potential features about chemistry-relevant business topics, including stories about technology breakthroughs, consumer market trends, regulation-driven changes, intellectual property developments, and start-up company formation and funding.
3. Conduct interviews and gather information that leads to accurate and balanced stories for all platforms, including website, newsletters, mobile app, podcasts, video, and print magazine.
4. Construct sophisticated and complex multiplatform story packages that conform to C&EN style and meet deadlines. Work with C&EN’s Media Production Lab team to create graphics, infographics, and other digital story forms that engage and inform audiences.
5. Work with C&EN’s Audience team to find the widest possible audience for your journalism.
6. Develop contacts in chemical and related business and research communities through attendance at industry events, email and phone interaction, and social media audience building.
1. A college degree in chemistry or a related scientific field is required; education in business or journalism is desirable.
2. Strong news judgement, good writing and editing skills, and good oral communication skills.
3. Proven skill in news and feature reporting and writing for multiple platforms.
4. The ability to gather and analyze information from a variety of sources.
5.Track record of conceptualizing and creating visual, shareable content of interest to a scientifically sophisticated audience.
6. Proven skill with social media, including developing a social media profile of your own to engage audiences and report stories.