S&P Global Market Intelligence
Charlottesville, VA/Washington, DC – Remote workers considered based on experience.
Application Deadline: September 30
We are seeking a reporter to cover the financial services industry with a focus on capital markets, market infrastructure, trading, asset management and regulatory developments at the Securities and Exchange Commission. As a part of one of the most high-profile teams in our newsroom, this position would tackle some of the biggest current storylines in financial journalism: the interplay of stock market regulation and the “meme stock” craze; the ESG movement and how asset managers like BlackRock are driving it forward; and the booming market for SPACs and how it is upending the traditional IPO. We’re seeking candidates who are passionate about unraveling the complex topics that define the U.S. financial markets and want to use data to explain past trends and point to what investors, researchers and regulators should watch for ahead.
The Team: Reporters and editors around the world collaborate to bring readers breaking news and in-depth reporting on the regulatory changes, M&A activity and business trends impacting the financial sector. We value interpersonal skills, creative thinking, teamwork, a passion for news, curiosity and of course, accurate writing.
The Impact: The financial services and banking industry comprises one of our largest readership groups, and our explanatory journalism and data-driven analyses about the space are consistently among our most-read stories. We go in depth to uncover the broader trends that help our readers make informed decisions.
– Bachelor’s degree (Journalism or related field preferred)
– Impeccable writing skills
– At least two years of journalism experience
– Openness to editorial feedback
– Drive to beat the other outlets to the big stories
– A desire to dive in and own your coverage
– This role is limited to persons with indefinite right to work in the United States
– Background in business journalism
– Journalism degree
– Knowledge of capital markets, financial regulation and/or the financial sector
– Experience with data analysis
– Break news and write spot coverage on capital markets and regulatory developments
– Write follow-ups on M&A and major company developments – Investigate how regulatory proposals will influence retail and institutional trading
– Track the growth of the ESG movement in asset management as well as institutional investor activity in the banking sector
– Juggle multiple assignments
– Craft data-driven weekly stories on the trends shaping your covered sectors
– Brainstorm ideas for long-form projects in collaboration with editors and data journalists