Crain’s Cleveland Business
Crain’s Cleveland Business is seeking a highly motivated, multi-media journalist to join our editorial team as a sports business reporter working 40 hours a week.
The journalist must have a strong desire to tell in-depth, feature-length news and analysis stories that explain the trends, issues and innovations happening on the Northeast Ohio sports scene, through a business lens. This beat goes beyond play-by-play and game scores. Our audience looks to us to learn how sports business issues affect athletes, sports organizations, consumers and the regional economy. You’ll delve into transactions, marketing, attendance numbers, technology, ticketing, facility renovations, TV ratings, team economics, player stats and much more. And those are just on the spectator side of sports business. You’ll find countless other stories in Northeast Ohio beyond its major sports franchises, minor league teams and Division 1 universities – from golf and corporate partnerships to esports and gambling.
Applicants also should be just as comfortable breaking news as writing trend-based enterprise stories.
Candidates must have exemplary reporting and writing skills on real time deadlines. They also must possess excellent people skills and collaborate with other editorial team members regularly.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Three years of experience in a professional newsroom
- The ideal candidate has some knowledge of business reporting and sports
- Demonstrate a passion for long-form explanatory journalism as well as breaking news
- Strong interviewing, reporting and writing skills
- A keen eye for detail and nuance with the ability to weave a narrative for feature-length stories
- Ability to juggle multiple responsibilities
- Self-starting and critical-thinking skills
- An eagerness to learn new things
- Demonstrated ability to write clearly about complex issues and ideas on tight deadline
- Experience with multiple platforms
- Demonstrated ability to write clearly about complex issues and ideas
- Web publishing, multimedia and social media experience
- Interest and skills in database journalism
- Audio and video reporting and photography experience a plus