The Missouri School of Journalism
The Missouri School of Journalism is seeking a creative leader with a vision for guiding the next generation of creatives at the world’s top-ranked journalism school.
If you’re an innovative copywriter who is equally comfortable in the digital and traditional worlds of advertising, we’re offering an opportunity to put all of your talents to work in our Strategic Communication program. You’ll work with dedicated faculty and smart, motivated students. Students use the Missouri Method to gain hands-on classroom experiences. You’ll lead the effort to use new techniques and tools to make relevant, thoughtful and engaging creative content across a variety of platforms in our student-staffed advertising agency, MOJO Ad.
The ideal applicant must have a solid foundation with copywriting for both traditional and digital advertising, storytelling and understanding of creating content for a diverse range of audiences. We’re looking for someone who has helped grow organizations (agency, nonprofit, corporate, etc.), with a track record of elevating creative content, mentoring diverse and talented staff and making a difference.
In your teaching role, you’ll be responsible for teaching four classes each semester (4 fall/4 spring). Classes would include some combination of:
- J4204 Introduction to Strategic Writing & Design
- J4208 Strategic Writing II
- J4220 Creative Portfolio
- J4970 Strategic Campaigns – MOJO Ad
This 9-month faculty position is benefit-eligible, renewable and carries the academic rank of Professional Practice Assistant Professor (non-tenure track). The individual also serves as the co-Creative Director of MOJO Ad. The anticipated start date for the position is by August 2022.
Minimum qualifications for the position are:
- At least 5 years’ experience as a copywriter (or similar title) in advertising.
- A bachelor’s degree.
The committee is also interested in candidates who bring:
- A proven track record of creative excellence (e.g., awards, signature achievements).
- A deep, applied understanding of how to use traditional and digital creative skills to enhance storytelling for a campaign.
- The ethical judgment and skill to teach young creatives how to make tough calls in the modern environment of dealing with diverse audiences.
- Strong interpersonal and collaborative creative skills are a must.