The individual hired for this position will serve as a staff writer and industry analyst covering a far-ranging, national business beat. The individual will report and write about critical trends and developments in the K-12 marketplace for a business audience. The position requires solid reporting skills and abundant curiosity. It is strongly preferred that the individual have expertise in business or education reporting. We are open reporters who have covered any number of beats and industries, as long as they have an interest in developing an expertise in the fast-evolving education market. We need someone who is digitally savvy, conscientious, and solution-focused, who thrives in the fast-paced and ever-changing environment that is digital news, and who is willing to take on multiple tasks as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree, 3-5 years related experience in a news/media/information/research organization.
• A strong grasp of business issues, including the flow of venture capital, the work of publicly traded and privately operated companies, and business strategy.
• Knowledge of the field of K-12 education or a hunger to learn more about it.
• Strong news judgment: ability to recognize news and trends in education and conceptualize appropriate stories and other content with an eye to audiences of business leaders.
• Skilled research, reporting, and writing abilities.
• Curiosity about reader analytics and the ability to use data about audience trends to steer content.
• Strong desire and ability to embrace and learn new technologies.