They Got Acquired
We’re looking for a freelance reporter who has experience covering the startup world or business to join us in a freelance capacity for They Got Acquired. Our mission is to change the definition of startup success by covering 6-, 7- and 8-figure acquisitions in the online space. You’ll tell the stories of these companies and the founders that grew them, in a fun voice that’s interesting to read. Our ideal candidate brings: Experience covering business or startups Reporting chops and journalistic ethics Creative writing skills You’ll contribute four posts/month. We’ll assign each story (no need to pitch ideas) and each assignment requires one interview. More details at the application link.
- You can write in a fun, engaging style.
- You have experience working as a reporter covering business or startups.
- You’re awesome at scrappy online research and know how to dig beyond the obvious sources.
- You’re seasoned with first-person interviews: navigating phone conversations, helping sources feel comfortable, and getting answers to tough questions.
- You’re creative and enjoy finding unique angles for each story.
- You’re good at sorting through information and pulling out the important pieces, then weaving it into a story.
- You’re comfortable with the metrics and acronyms in the startup space, for example: churn, SaaS, equity, ARR.
- You enjoy being part of a small, scrappy team that’s building a business from scratch.
- You’re a problem-solver who suggests solutions alongside pointing out problems.
- You get just as excited (or more!) about a company that bootstrapped to a $2 million sale compared with one that raised VC and sold for $200 million.
- You double-check your work, turn in clean copy, and care highly about accuracy.
- Your work is upheld by journalistic ethics