Application Deadline: December 31, 2022
• Assign and edit daily coverage from the Lifestyle team on topics ranging from places to go and things to do to restaurants, recreation and daytrips. This editor is responsible for coordinating visuals, writing headlines and stewarding coverage through all aspects of digital and print publication.
• Collaborate with colleagues across visual, digital programming and print production to optimize content to each platform. This involves coordinating video/photo shoots, delivering digital-first content and proofreading print edition pages.
• Brainstorm new ideas that meet Explore LI’s mission, using the newsroom’s full range of alternative- and multimedia-driven storytelling tools.
• Fact-check and/or update stories and seasonal guides. Request visuals from publicists and other sources. Work with freelancers as needed.
• Understand reader/subscriber trends and work with the team to act on the resulting metrics to generate coverage that serves our loyal subscribers and helps Newsday build subscribers and new, diverse audiences.
|• 3+ years of line editing and/or reporting experience, including familiarity with AP and Newsday style.
• Excellent verbal & written communication, organization and planning skills along with solid news judgment and ethics.
• Proficiency in SEO headline writing and digital metrics software is a plus as is familiarity with DM Desk widgets and special article templates.
• Deep understanding of Newsday’s print and digital products, including the Funbook, Gift Guide and Winery Finder.