The Wall Street Journal is looking for an accomplished and driven journalist to lead our coverage of the social media companies that are reshaping the way people interact and share information.
You will guide a group of talented reporters in revealing the business dynamics and societal reverberations of companies including Facebook-parent Meta Platforms, TikTok, and Twitter, at a time when these institutions are being buffeted by digital-advertising upheaval and growing regulatory scrutiny, not to mention Elon Musk’s leap into the industry.
This is an opportunity to play a vital role in the Journal’s San Francisco-based technology bureau, which has set the pace for reporting on social media in recent years with coverage including the award-winning Facebook Files series.
The role requires someone who can help reporters to thrive on a fast-paced, intense subject area and deliver the full range of journalism that readers need: exclusive news, incisive analysis, and the deeply reported and distinctive stories that illuminate how these companies and their leaders operate.
- Guide your reporters to break news on some of the most scrutinized companies in the world.
- Work with reporters to turn tips and hunches into smartly conceived and expertly reported stories.
- Think creatively about how to tackle reporting challenges and engage audiences.
- Work well with other editors in the bureau and throughout the newsroom, helping to optimize our coverage of social media and tech broadly depending on the demands of the day or the story.
- Experience with sourcing and the ability to help reporters cultivate the networks they need to be effective.
- Demonstrated acumen in conceiving and delivering sharp, revealing, agenda-setting stories on important issues.
- The kind of keen news judgment that keeps us ahead of the pack.
- Elite-level communication and organization skills and excellent writing ability.
- The combination of ambition and empathy that will inspire reporters to get the best out of themselves while managing the pressures of high-profile beats.
- A collegial approach to coordinating coverage and facilitating mutual help among reporters and editors
The position is based in San Francisco and will report to The Wall Street Journal’s global tech editor.
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter and examples of stories written and/or edited along with information about each one that makes clear how it demonstrates your aptitude for this role.