Boston Globe Media
The Boston Globe is looking for an Assistant Business Editor to help direct coverage of the regional economy, its core industries and leaders, and how economic issues affect the lives of everyday people. The ideal candidate for this job will be a dynamic, innovative, and collaborative journalist, ideally with experience covering business and economic issues as an editor and/or a senior reporter. They will be a key member of the Globe’s 20-person business department, helping a small team of reporters craft stories while also helping their fellow editors plan our daily and weekly business coverage in print, online, and newsletters.
This is a versatile job that requires someone comfortable operating at both the speed of our website and the depth of our most complex enterprise stories. A collaborative spirit is a must, as you will work with a wide range of departments across the newsroom to maximize the impact of our stories. You should be creative, organized, and flexible. A sharp eye for news, attention to detail, and a deft touch editing writers across a wide range of experience levels will go a long way, too.
- Serve as assignment and line editor for a small team of reporters (~four people), helping them conceive and execute stories and providing primary edits.
- Help the Business editing team plan and prioritize daily and enterprise stories and shape our coverage of the local economy.
- Edit/package/write headlines for online breaking news stories as needed.
- Collaborate with other departments in the newsroom to plan coverage across a given topic area.
- Coordinate with Photo, Page Design, and Audience Engagement teams to maximize impact and readership of Globe business journalism in print and online.
- Five-plus years as an editor or senior reporter at a major publication.
- Experience covering business or economy-related subjects is preferred but not required.
- An eagerness to coach reporters with a wide range of experience levels and work styles to maximize their potential.
- Strong news judgment, a sharp eye for stories, and a creative approach to finding new and interesting ways to tell them.
- The skill to manage a wide range of stories on deadline – from quick-hit web posts to long-term enterprise and everything in between – and help reporters prioritize their time.
- Strong communication and time-management skills.
- Knowledge of areas such as finance, technology, health care, and economy is a plus.
- A willingness to adapt and be audience focused, with a curious mindset and a commitment to creating an inclusive work environment.