Overview of C&EN
C&EN (Chemical & Engineering News) produces authoritative, award-winning journalism from around the world of chemistry, including research, education, industry, funding, and regulatory policy. It is published by but editorially independent of the American Chemical Society (ACS), the world’s largest scientific society dedicated to a single discipline. C&EN is widely considered one of the major benefits of ACS membership. Its weekly magazine reaches more than 170,000 members of ACS, and its website receives more than 13 million page views per year
We are seeking a reporter and writer who will keep C&EN readers informed about news and trends in chemistry-related areas of business such as pharmaceutical manufacturing, information technology, and specialty chemicals.
What you’ll do:
- Write breaking news stories for C&EN’s website and longer-form features for its weekly print magazine, with opportunities to work on podcast and video.
- Identify potential features about chemistry-relevant business topics, including stories about technology breakthroughs, consumer market trends, regulation-driven changes, intellectual property developments, and start-up company formation and funding.
- Conduct interviews and gather information that leads to accurate and balanced stories for all platforms, including website, newsletters, mobile app, podcasts, video, and print magazine.
- Construct sophisticated and complex multiplatform story packages that conform to C&EN style and meet deadlines. Work with C&EN’s art team to create graphics, infographics, and other digital story forms that engage and inform audiences.
- Work with colleagues to find the widest possible audience for your journalism. Share your work and interact with our audience on social media.
- Develop contacts and story ideas through attendance at industry events, email and phone interaction, and social media audience building.
What you’ll bring:
- Three to five years of experience working as a business or science journalist.
- Strong news judgment, good writing and editing skills, and good oral communication skills.
- Proven skill in news and feature reporting and writing for multiple platforms.
- The ability to gather and analyze information from a variety of sources.
- Track record of writing engaging stories on complex topics for a scientifically sophisticated audience.
- Proven skill with social media, including developing a social media profile of your own to engage audiences and report stories.
Travel expectation: Up to 10%
About working at C&EN: ACS believes in the strength of diversity in all its forms, because inclusion of and respect for diverse people, experiences, and ideas lead to superior solutions to world challenges and advance chemistry as a global, multidisciplinary science. In turn, C&EN believes that to meet its mission to be the world’s go-to source of news about chemistry, our reporting and our newsroom must include diverse perspectives. Therefore, we strongly encourage people of color, LGBTQ+ people, people with disabilities, and members of other historically marginalized communities in the chemical sciences to apply.
How to apply: Direct link. Along with a résumé, applicants must submit three samples of their published work. Tell us in a cover letter what you can bring to this position. Send all materials to firstname.lastname@example.org after submitting your résumé below.
Job Location: ACS operates in a hybrid capacity with 3 days in the office (T/W core plus one other), and the preference is for this position to be based in Washington, DC, or New York City. Remote work will be considered for the right candidate.