Attire: Welcome to sunny, warm Florida! We want you to be comfortable, so all events are business casual. That means that ties, jackets and heels can be left at home. Comfortable walking shoes are a must and don’t forget to pack your sunblock. When in doubt: No Shorts, No Shoes, No SABEW23.
Poynter: Learn more about the conference host and the campus. There will be a private nursing room on site, an “all gender” restroom, a place to store your luggage, a charging area and a story filing lounge.
ADA Compliance: At Poynter Institute, we prioritize ourselves to meet the needs of all individuals to have equal opportunity to experience the best of what Poynter’s has to offer. ADA compliance is our priority to make sure that everyone has the same opportunity to access and learn and a freedom of navigation in the entire Poynter Institute building. Please reach out to Tong Phum, email@example.com, for questions or to discuss any accommodations.
Parking at the Conference: There is abundant free parking in Poynter’s private lot.
Flights: You will want to fly into the Tampa International Airport. It is about a 40-minute drive to Poynter.
Hotel: The host hotel is sold out.
Host hotel shuttle option: The conference host hotel is a 20-minute walk to Poynter. There will be a SABEW shuttle in the morning and evening. The shuttle service will only take you to/from the Courtyard Marriott and Poynter and will run every 15 minutes, one hour before SABEW23 starts each morning and one hour when SABEW23 concludes for the day. The shuttle does not run mid-day.
This is an in-person-only conference.
Checking out: Poynter is a secure building. You can store your luggage onsite if you are coming to the conference directly from a flight or heading out to the airport after the conference concludes on Saturday.
Social Outing Options
- Expect a 40-minute Uber ride to REH in Clearwater. Wilco should go on stage around 9 p.m. Ruth Eckerd Hall has the best acoustics in town and is a great venue for live music.
Good Spots for a Cocktail
- Pier Teaki: This is located at the end of the new St. Pete Pier destination/attraction and has a rooftop bar with a stunning view of downtown St. Pete — especially at sunset. Enjoy a scenic walk up and back with views of Tampa Bay across to Tampa and over to the Skyway Bridge.
- The Canopy at the Birchwood: This venue has a rooftop bar on Beach Drive with great views, good drinks and good vibes.
Wine/Dine on Beach Drive
- Cassis: French American, great food, good happy hour.
- Parkshore Grill: Contemporary American, excellent chef, perfect for people watching (reserve an outdoor table).
- Bella Brava: consistently great Italian food.
- Bacchus Wine Bistro: good wine list, decent happy hour, small bites. If wine’s your thing, plan to visit.
- Red Mesa Cantina: outdoor courtyard under party lights, beautiful outdoor bar, good Mexican/Spanish food.
Friday or Saturday nights
In the Warehouse Arts District (short Uber ride)
- Urban Stillhouse: restaurant of the Horse Soldier bourbon makers. Exceptional food, sophisticated atmosphere and a wide variety of exceptional bourbon.
- 3 Daughters Brewing: microbrewery, warehouse, outdoor space with live music on weekend nights. Just a block away from Urban Stillhouse.
- Floridian Social Club: good spot for live music and entertainment and is mid-way up Central Ave. Check the schedule for booked shows.
Downtown St. Pete
- Beach Drive – affluent, wine/dine options.
- Central Avenue – independent restaurants, shops, bars.
Transportation Option Around DTSP
- Sunrunner – Rapid Transit (Downtown St. Pete – Beaches)
- Ubers/Lyfts are readily available and fairly inexpensive
- Crossbay Ferry to Tampa
Refunds: We understand plans can change. If you can’t attend #SABEW23, we’ll do our best to support you. Refund requests are due by April 5; we will charge a $50 cancellation fee after that, as we will have incurred costs for registrants by that time. Please consider sending a substitute. Anyone who registered for #SABEW23 and tests positive or incurs a medical emergency on or after April 10 will be eligible to receive a full conference refund. Please email SABEW@SABEW.org with your request.